Tuesday, August 31, 2010

CoS Convocation, June 18-21, 2010

The Community of Solitude is an ecumenical community of solitaries who are living the Christian life according to the Benedictine rule in the Camaldolese and Taize traditions. Every year the community meets for convocation on either the West or East coast of the USA. (We haven't yet met abroad.)  This year we met in Northern California at Big Sur.

The Greek and zen-circled cross of the Community of Solitude

The Camaldolese monks were extremely kind and gracious and generous to us.   We were invited to pray each Office with them.  We were prayed for during each Office.  On Saturday and Sunday we were invited to have lunch with the monks.  We were commended and encouraged by them to follow our Rule of life.  We felt very much at home with the monks and the other retreatants.

I was looking forward to this convocation/retreat.  Except for Br Jordan (Hale) and a few email exchanges with Br Leo (Campos) I was not acquainted with anyone else in our community.  Therefore, I was looking forward to meeting many of them.  Unfortunately, not all of us were able to travel to California.  We are mostly from the USA.  We have members in the UK and New Zealand.  Most of us are Anglican/Episcopalian but we also have Roman Catholics.

The New Camaldoli Hermitage was one of the first places I saw when I moved to Northern California from Southern California.  That was 40 years and many, many lifetimes ago!  As I did then, I viewed this visit as a harbinger of positive changes in my life.  Entering the Community of Solitude was one of them.

Just before convocation I was diagnosed with non Hodgkin's B-cell lymphoma.  My doctor prescribed chemotherapy.  I would begin treatment on Wednesday, June 23.  Not knowing how I would react to chemo (I feared nausea and vomiting, which -- thankfully -- happened only once.) I was looking forward to spending time alone in prayer in preparation for chemotherapy.

Down the coast along the way we stopped at
Mission San Carlos Borromeo
del rio Carmelo in Carmel

California grammar schoolers learn of early California history and the 21 Spanish Franciscan missions in the fourth grade.  This was my first exposure to catholic Christianity.  Mission San Fernando Rey de Espana was the first Roman Catholic Church I visited.  We didn't live far from Mission San Fernando.  As a child, I used to walk there and sit in the Mission gardens.  (I was drawn to the contemplative life even then!)  I have a very warm spot in my heart for the California Missions.

Fellow novice Br Raymond (Munro)

 Sr Corby and Br Raymond and I drove down the coast together from San Jose.
Coastal loveliness


 New Camaldoli Hermitage sits on 800 acres above the Pacific Ocean.

 Each of us was assigned a "hermitage".  This one, "Logos", was mine.

The New Camaldoli Hermitage is actually many hermitages surrounding the chapel.  Those on retreat are given a hermitage (a remodeled trailer) that includes a bed, dresser, rocking chair (mine did anyway), writing desk, kitchen, and bathroom.  I couldn't have asked for anything more!

The view from my deck.

   Br Jude (Kreutzer) makes his first profession of vows.

On Friday evening, June 18, Br Raymond and I were received as novices in a ceremony in the Hermitage Chapter Room.  Br Jude (Kreutzer) made his first profession of vows and was clothed in the Benedictine habit.
Guardian Council members Sr Clare Benedicta (Myers),
 Br Leo (Campos), and Br Jordan (Hale) clothe Br Jude
in the Benedictine habit.





(left) Sr Clare Benedicta (Myers) and
Sr Vincent Marie (Rittenhouse) formally transferred
their life professions from the Companions of St Lude
to the Community of Solitude.

View from the chapel.

 The Hermitage Cloister

 
 The chapel has a very "Eastern Orthodox" feel to it in that it is separate from the nave.  It represents the "Tomb of Christ" from which our Lord rises.  During the Offertory everyone gathers around the altar for the Liturgy of the Eucharist.


When ordering from the hermitage online this "monks thank you" picture was sent with my order confirmation.  I've never experienced the celebration of Mass quite like this.  It was very intimate.

A copy of St Andrei Rublev's Icon of the Holy Trinity
in the chapel narthex
The Hermitage Prior (in white), Fr. Raniero Hoffman, OSB Cam, gave us
a tour of their state-of-the-art modular infirmary.
Group Picture # 1
 (front l-r) Sr Vincent Marie, Sr Clare Benedicta, and Sr Corby
(back l-r) American Sign Language Interpretor, Br Raymond,
Br Jordan, Br Leo, Br Jude, and me.


Group Picture # 2

When I left the Hermitage I had entered a new community.  I had reconnected with the Camaldolese hermits.  I have now embraced the Benedictine rule as a novice.  I am working on the spiritual health of my soul with renewed vigor.  I feel carried by the prayers of others.  I am very grateful.



No comments:

Post a Comment